Sunday, January 07, 2007


deBBitty Bears Crochet


I have been crocheting since I was a grandmother-taught child. My first project was a rusted orange colored hot pad that I never finished! I remember giving it to my mom on mother's day half-finished with a half hearted promise to finish it later! I took up my hooks again in college.

I made a huge blue monstrosity of an afghan for a current boyfriend. I think the whole thing was just single crochet. His mothers comment? "Wow she must really like you." I think that guy is a physicist or something now.

That summer, my boyfriends ( a different one by now) mother was kind enough to try and teach me to read a pattern. I made this brown and cream, huge (again!), granny-type square, afghan. Only I didn't quite get the whole starting chain counts a first stitch thing...and it was a mess. I gave it to my husband when I finally got it done about a year later. WELL! (he was my next boyfriend FIRST). but he never really used it. It was a very loose stitched thing and held no heat whatsoever. AND, thanks to my inexperience it began to unravel in the middle of the squares.

My skills have improved over the years....and my first published pattern was an afghan in Crochet World Magazine.

My hubby and I now have 8 kids and I don't get as much time to crochet as I would like.


My favorite crochet groups....

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/threadanimals
also at www.threadanimals.com

This is a group that I created with a friend and helped grow to over 800 members. After the birth of my eigth I gave the ownership over to a friend ....and she is doing a great job. Toni also does the web sites for this group and........

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/threadartistbears
also at www.threadartistbears.com

This group is where the members of threadanimals can list their items for sale.

This bear was made from my humphrey pattern. (available at www.debbittybears.com). I didn't use a pattern for the dress.

I also love ....

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/crochetpartners

It is the BEST place to meet other crocheters and hob nob with the BEST in the business and learn something new practically every day.





Question of the day?

What is the difference between imitating someones crochet work and being inspired by it?

-deBBie

No comments: